Certified Clinical and Health Psychologist, registered with the Austrian Ministry of Health
Dr. Nils Beer
Prevention · Diagnostics · Counseling & Treatment
Welcome to my Homepage!
As a registered (clinical and health) psychologist in Vienna, I am pleased to welcome you to my homepage. Below you will find my short biography, my approach as well as the main treatment areas of my psychological work.
Not all psychological problems require support and treatment by trained psychologists. We all experience periods of depression, anxiety or insomnia as a natural reaction to challenging situations or events. And more recently, the Covid-19 pandemic has brought considerable stress to all of us – with challenges not only in the economic context but especially in the psychosocial context.
However, if problems and distress persist for you and/or your loved ones over a longer period of time, you should consider professional support. Take some time to learn about common psychological disorders or stress patterns and their treatment approaches: “Psychological support – when?
You will find the evidence-based and effective psychological procedures I use outlined and explained in a little more detail under “Treatment / Therapy”.
Approach & Philosophy
As a registered Clinical and Health Psychologist, I offer a wide range of psychological prevention, diagnosis, counselling and treatment for adolescents and adults.
My overriding maxim is impartiality towards people with mental health problems – we all have them to some degree. According to conservative estimates, about one third of illnesses are based on psychological or psychosocial factors and there is an increase in such psychogenic “disorders”. In addition to empathy, I bring with me the ability to motivate people and to accompany them in a supportive and unbiased manner in their decision-making and change processes.
If you – or relatives of yours – are affected by a psychological burden, seeking professional support is the first decisive step towards (re)becoming aware of your resources for problem solving and for effective strategies, subsequently implementing them in your active life design and thus regaining quality of life.
- Studies of psychology (BSc, MSc, PhD) in London, followed by many years as a lecturer in the Department of Psychology at the University of Westminster, London.
- Subsequent training as a clinical and health psychologist at the Austrian Autistic Aid in Vienna and at the renowned Psychosomatic Centre Waldviertel (PSZW) in Eggenburg.
Services and main areas of treatment:
- Psychological diagnostics
- Performance diagnostics
- Personality diagnostics
- Expertise assessment for dental treatment under anesthesia
- Psychological counselling and psychoeducation
- Psychological treatment / therapy
- Supportive talking therapy
- Treatment within the framework of cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure and confrontation techniques
- Partnership conflicts
- Dealing with problems of relatives
- Burnout prophylaxis
- Relaxation techniques
- Autogenic training
- Progressive muscle relaxation
- Tapping acupressure
- Mindfulness-based meditation
Psychological treatment focus:
- Affective disorders (depression, mania and bipolar disorder)
- Anxiety disorders (generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, phobias and obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Psychosomatic disorders
- Personality disorders
- Problematic alcohol consumption
Health psychology support:
- Strengthening of resources
- Personality development
- Sport, fitness and exercise
Age groups and settings:
- Adolescents and adults
- Individual and couple therapy